Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Married Life

It's Saturday afternoon. Goobs is upstairs taking his nap. Mommy is sitting in the living room reading a book. Daddy and Bean are at the kitchen table playing with Legos.

Bean: "Daddy, do you know what Daddy?"

Daddy: "What Bean?"

Bean: "When I grow up the only person I want to marry is Mommy."

Daddy: "Well, you can't marry Mommy."

Bean: "Why not, I love her."

Daddy: "Well she's your Mommy. You can't marry your Mommy. And besides, she is already married to me."

Bean: (Thinks for a while, fiddles with some Legos) "Ok, well I can marry someone else but I think that we will still live here with Mommy."

Bean comes running over to Mommy to inform her of his life plan.

Bean: (Somehow Bean has equated 16 with full adulthood and being allowed to do everything he wants to do) "Mommy, I wanted to marry you but since I can't, when I turn 16, I will marry someone else but we will just live here with you."

Mommy: "Um, well, you will always be welcome in our house. Your wife might not be all that into living with your parents though. We are pretty great, but sometimes girls get these crazy notions of wanting their own house and stuff."

Bean: (Thinks a little while longer.) "Well I won't marry her unless she lets us live here. And besides, when I come and get in bed with you at night, she can come too and then she will feel like part of the family."

Mommy: "Hmmm, um, yeah. That might be a little weird Bean. Hopefully, by then you will be sleeping in your own bed at least, even if you do still live here."

Bean: "No, I'm always going to want to sleep with you."

Mommy: "Well, that's ok for now. How about we just worry about that when you are older."

Bean: "OK, but I'm not going to change my mind. When I'm 16 I'm going to watch Star Wars and Transformers and sleep in bed with you. It's going to be great."

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great plan to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My oldest has hatched a similar plan -- one that involves both him and me working at the local grocery store. He's planning to live at home forever and says he'll always hold my hand crossing the street, too. Yeah... when he really hits 16, I bet these childhood dreams will be his nightmare... Welcome back!!

    ReplyDelete